Monday, April 12, 2010

Goodbye Diapers!

So last week I decided it was time to jump into Potty Training! We started on Tuesday- 8 days after Savannah's 2nd birthday. I had been dreading this and day one and two were just as I had imagined... lots of accidents and even a few tears. I could tell she was learning with each accident though. But we woke up Thursday morning and we had turned a corner. She still had a few accidents, but they were happening less often. She started waking up from her naps dry (signs she was learning to hold it) and started waking up in the morning only slightly damp (she used to soak through even overnight diapers!). So, I knew she was getting it. On Friday, she did even better and while I was feeding Hailey, she even went over to the potty, pulled down her underwear, and peed and poopied all by herself- first time pooping on the potty! I was so thrilled and so encouraged!! Saturday, she only had one little accident while playing outside. And on Sunday, we decided to take her to church IN UNDERWEAR! And she stayed dry the whole time and went on the potty for them! Such a proud mommy :) When we got home from church we were feeling so good, Cole and I decided to put her down for her nap with underwear on and she stayed dry!! WOW! We talked about letting her sleep in underwear that night, but we only have one set of sheets for her bed, so I think we'll wait until we have a backup set before we attempt that, but she did wake up this morning dry again. So yesterday she had not a single accident and she did just as well today. She took her nap in underwear again and was able to go an hour or two between potty breaks during the day with no accidents all day long! We are so proud of her! She jumps up from the potty with her arms in the air and yells "I did it!" So cute! And she looks adorable in her little training pants :)
So now we just have to work on going longer between potty visits, moving the potty back to the bathroom instead of having it in the same room as us all the time, letting her come to us and tell us she has to go instead of constantly having to ask her, and wearing underwear overnight. We have jumped in with both feet and she is doing so well! I could not be prouder, but today I started thinking about how people say "I remember when you were in diapers..." and I wanted to cry! Another sign our little baby is growing up- it sure does happen quickly! I am loving being this kid's mommy!

2 comments:

Mark, Genny, and Aivia Lindsey said...

Not to be discouraging, but for 4 months I have been having to take Aivia to the bathroom. She won't tell when she has to go. I hope Savannah does better than Aivia with telling, it sounds like it. I'm really frustrated with it b/c at church she won't tell them and has had lots of accidents. Mark says that we are going to have to put her in diapers for church.

Joelle Turner said...

Go Savi, go Savi. Go, go, go Savi! Woohooo!!!